Valentine's Day is tomorrow and these cookies are the perfect little treat that are SO easy to make; they only require five ingredients and can be made in less than an hour. I even had my sweet little Maddux help me out, but all he was interested in was sticking his tongue through the cookie cutter LOL Hopefully he'll be of more help when he's older. Anyway, the cookies are a short bread cookie, topped with a slightly sweet grape fruit glaze. They are delicate, buttery and just melt in your mouth; I ate about five last night! You could top them with any icing of choice but I chose the grapefruit glaze because it is light, fruity and an overall great accompaniment to the cookie. I achieved the red by adding a drop of red food coloring to the glaze.
I must admit though, I had plans to make a marbled royal icing for them, which calls for meringue powder, but do you know that finding that stuff is damn near impossible? Yeah me either until I went in search of it (insert eye roll) and when you are toting around a 13 month old, going from store to store stops being fun after store two. I then researched meringue powder substitutions but found out that having to use raw egg whites might not be the best option on account of the "sour vanilla"...that's what we call salmonella, it's a running inside joke with our family out of the ever so witty mouth of my brother-in-law. If you're looking for a sweet treat that isn't chocolate and that you can make with ingredients you already have, these are it!!
2 cups all purpose flour
2 sticks butter, salted (1 cup), softened
1/2 cup powered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp fresh grapefruit juice
About 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar
1 drop red food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Stir in flour.
3. Chill dough for 20-30 minutes.
4. Roll out dough to about 1/2" thick then using a heart shaped cookie cutter cut out cookies.
5. Bake 12-15 minutes.
6. Mix juice,powered sugar and food coloring. You can make it thicker by adding more powdered sugar but of course the more you add the sweeter it will be which is fine because the cookies them selves aren't very sweet at all.
7. Let cookies completely cool then using a spoon, ladle a little bit of the glaze on at a time using the back of the spoon to spread the glaze.
I hope everyone has a LOVELY Valentine's Day with their someone(s) special!! As for me, I'll be spending it with my two favorite guys with a filet dinner and champagne!!